Requesting Access to Government Records Under the Louisiana Public Records Act (La. Rev. Stat. §§ 44:1 et seq.)
- This form should only be used to submit records requests to KIPP New Orleans Schools.
- Complete and date this request form and deliver it in person during regular business hours or by mail to the appropriate custodian of the record requested. Your request is not considered filed until the appropriate custodian of the record requested has received a completed request form. If you submit the request form to any other officer or employee of KIPP New Orleans Schools, that officer or employee may not have the authority to accept your request form on behalf of the KIPP New Orleans Schools and your request will be directed to the appropriate custodian. The three business day response time will not commence until the proper custodian reviews the request to determine if it is complete.
- If you submit a request for access to government records to someone other than the appropriate custodian, do not complete the KIPP New Orleans Schools request form, or attempt to make a request for access by email, telephone or fax; the Louisiana Public Records Act and its deadlines, restrictions and remedies will not apply to your request.
- The fees for duplication of a government record in printed form are listed on the front of this form. We will notify you of any special charges, special service charges or other additional charges authorized by State law or regulation before processing your request. Payment shall be made by check or money order payable to the KIPP New Orleans Schools Inc.
- If it is necessary for the records custodian to contact you concerning your request, providing identifying information, such as your name, address and telephone number or an e-mail address is required.
- You may be charged a 50% or other deposit when a request for copies exceeds $25. The KIPP New Orleans Schools custodian will contact you and advise you of any deposit requirements. You agree to pay the balance due upon delivery of the records.
- Under the Louisiana Public Records Act, a custodian must deny access to a person who has been convicted of an indictable offense in Louisiana or the United States, and who is seeking government records containing personal information pertaining to the person’s victim or the victim’s family.
- By law, the KIPP New Orleans Schools must notify you that it grants or denies a request for access to government records within three business days after the custodian of the record requested receives the request, provided that the record is currently available and not in storage. If the record requested is not currently available or is in storage, the custodian will advise you within three business days when the record can be made available and the estimated cost. You may agree with the custodian to extend the time for making records available, or granting or denying your request.
- You may be denied access to a government record if your request would substantially disrupt agency operations and the custodian is unable to reach a reasonable solution with you.
- If KIPP New Orleans Schools is unable to comply with your request for access to a government record, the custodian will indicate the reasons for denial on the request form and send you a signed and dated copy.
- Except as otherwise provided by law or by agreement with the requester, if the custodian of the record requested fails to respond to you within three business days of receiving a request form, the failure to respond will be considered a denial of your request.
- If your request for access to a government record has been denied or unfilled within the time permitted by law, you have a right to challenge the decision by KIPP New Orleans Schools to deny access.
- Information provided on this form may be subject to disclosure under the Louisiana Public Records Act.